Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Don't be afraid to get mean...my class is horrible"

It's a fact and known for that matter that technology has made an incredible impact on the world overall but certainly has made it's mark on kids. It's shown through money hungry companies producing graphic video games giving false perceptions of consequences and feelings towards difficult situations combined with increasingly broken homes and communities.

I think about this even more strongly today oddly enough because I had a group of 4th graders who were absolutely brutal towards each other. I was at my wits end and actually got pretty "mean" after a little less than 2 hours. It wasn't that they were mean towards me personally, but they were rude and offensive towards each other! I tried my best to stick to the simple lesson plans the teacher had provided of running three different level guided reading groups, one at a time while the others finished daily work and did extra silent reading. This was all supposed to lead up to 20 minutes of "free choice" activities before the end of the day. Well, that was pretty much out the window. Eventually I had had so much of their whiney attitudes, negative language towards each other, thier deceptiveness and rudeness that I had them take their chairs, that were on their desks for the night, off and sit in silence for the last 10 minutes of the day. One girl actually cried...and of course everyone made fun of her, all over the fact that she lost "free choice" time. For you education majors, I did of course take the time once those rugrats were silent to apologize to those who were "doing the right thing" and tell them that I felt bad that they were loosing fun time due to "friends who were making bad choices." :) Still...the girl in tears killed me, but I suppose she'll live. Now that I think of it, one of my 2nd graders cried this morning because she missed breakfast. Well...might as well start and end the day the same!

I was astounded! The teacher had told me "don't be afraid to yell...I have a horrible class" before she left for an afternoon meeting. I had just come from a 2nd grade class that was absolutely adorable and provided me with a fantastic morning experience of cute comments and good work. I initially thought, how "horrible" could this class be? I quickly found out!

So yeah, kids are mean...really mean. Makes you wonder when the majority of the world will feel the urge to make a positive change and start spending quality time with their children playing baseball in the park and rollerblading around the neighborhood. Makes you wonder when families will change their tactics from threatening their children into acceptable behavior into teaching good behavior and why it is good. The world's views are going downhill fast...what are you going to do to counter act?

2 comments:

Matt and Megan said...

Pipes, I couldn't have explained it better. Kids don't know what it means to go home, throw on some play clothes and just GO OUTSIDE! They spend endless hours in front of violent video games and movies thinking it is reality. This "reality" transfers into the classroom through rudeness and attitude. Isn't it heartbreaking to think of where these kids will be in just a few years?

Megan said...

I WANT MORE!

Please update :)